Wyoming Dietetics Licensing Board

Questions and Answers

Below are questions and answers to those questions that are frequently asked of the Board office:

Q. Can dietitians write labs or orders?

A. Please refer to the Board's Rules and Practice Act page to read an advisory regarding order writing privileges. 

Q. Are there exemptions to licensure?

A. Please be aware the Board's Practice Act, Wyoming Statute 33-47-103 lists exemptions. You may view the practice Act on the Board's Rules and Practice Act page.

Potential reciprocal applicants should be aware within these exemptions, W.S. 33-47-103(a)(viii) includes: "A nonresident registered dietitian licensed in another state if the requirements for licensure are at least as stringent as the requirements for licensure contained in this act, or registered by the commission if the state of residence does not require licensure, while practicing dietetics in this state for up to twenty (20) days annually."

Q. How can I contact the Board? 

A. All contact for the Board must be directed through the Board Office. Why? 

Q. What is the fastest way to get an answer from Board staff?

A. E-mail is the quickest form of communication with the Board staff. For general questions or licensing questions, please e-mail the Licensing Specialist using the information on the Contact Us page.

Q. Can I pay over the phone for anything?

A. At this time, we do not have the ability to take credit or debit card payments over the phone or in the board office.

Q. I live in Cheyenne; can I bring in my application, documents or payment?

A. Of course! Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm. If you need to talk to Board staff, please call ahead to make sure we will be in the office when you arrive. Please be aware the Board does NOT accept cash.

Q. Who do I make my check, cashier’s check or money order out to?

A. The State of Wyoming or the Wyoming Dietetics Licensing Board.

Q. Where do I mail my application or request forms?

A. The address to our office can be found on the contact us page. It also is on top of every application and form.

Q. How can I get a new wall certificate and/or pocket cards with my new name?

A. There is a $10.00 fee for replacement documents. This fee must be received in the form of a cashier's check or money order. You can mail in this fee with a written request, or include the fee with your name change request form. 

Q. I changed my name a while ago but my proof of legal presence still shows my previous name. Can I still apply using my proof of legal presence?

A. Yes! You will need to include a copy of the legal document that allowed for your name change (commonly a copy of your marriage license or divorce decree) with your application.

Q. What do I need to submit for my application to be complete?

A. Almost every application packet we have available includes either an instruction page or a check list. Please visit the application you are interested in for more information.

Q. I want to apply in another state and they told me I need a letter with my license information, how do I get that?

A. You need a license verification. There is a fee of $15.00 for this service, payable by cashier’s check or money order to the state of Wyoming. We do have a verification request form available on the "Forms" page. You also can send a written request with your name, type of license, current address and the address you want the verification sent.